Year 12 Results 2020
A message from the Principal:
Year 12 Results
Congratulations to the Class of 2020 who have exceeded expectations (for many of them their own) with their Year 12 results. Here are some of the statistics:
99.55 (Mykal Marsham), followed by 99.15 (Caitlyn Williams)
Students over 90:
Students over 80:
Students over 70:
Students seeking an ATAR:
VET Certificates issued:
55 Vocational Qualifications and 162 Statements of Attainment
Students who achieved above their estimate:
100% of ATAR seekers
Senior Secondary Certificates issued:
Some points to remember and highlight:
- MacKillop is a co-educational Catholic school with a fully comprehensive enrolment policy – all kinds of students come to our school, which is a strength.
- The Dux is again a boy but the Top 20 ATARs at MacKillop are shared between 11 male and nine female students – co-educations works in so many ways!
- MacKillop’s approach to supporting students in Years 11 and 12 during COVID-19 lockdown has been proven correct: supporting safety and prioritising learning; relying on relationships between teachers and students to challenge, support, motivate, and encourage students; sustaining our assessment programs; seeking and actioning feedback from students, parents, and teachers; and maintaining a sense of urgency and humour.
- MacKillop’s program of targeting and accelerating Year 10 students into Year 11 and 12 courses, particularly in Religious Education, set a standard of expectation and gave students course and package options in Semester 1 and 2 of Year 12.
- MacKillop has a stable and talented group of teachers who undertake extensive professional learning for edge and renewal.
- Investment of fees and resources into mentoring, the Learning Commons, and student support provides students with critical academic advice and a more individualised approach to successful learning.
- The College’s commitment to recognising all kinds of success, not just high ATARs, builds collective efficacy, confidence, and authentic diversity among the cohort.
- MacKillop’s Trade/VET facilities are outstanding and we issued a large number of VET certificates despite the impact of COVID.
- This is now the third consecutive year that a MacKillop student has been accepted into NIDA.
- Two students topped their ANU H Course (Caitlyn Williams - Astrophysics, Mykal Marsham - Specialist Maths)
- This year, ANU made a large number of early entry offers to students across the colleges in the ACT. This was done prior to students sitting the AST – critical to ATAR calculation. Many principals were concerned about students’ continued desire to work hard given they had received entry into the course of their choice. This seems to have had little impact on our cohort, given that each student has achieved an ATAR beyond expectations.
Congratulations to Year 12 on all their achievements over the past six years here at MacKillop.
Yours in St Mary MacKillop,
Year 12 Reactions to their results
We spoke with a few students after results were released. Here's what they had to say:
"I checked my ATAR and I cried – but they were happy tears! For the past two years, I’ve had ‘90+ ATAR’ written on my wall as a goal. I wasn’t expecting to get as high as I got, but I’m very happy. I love learning and I knew from the start of Year 11 that I wanted to do the best I could. I got a lot of support from my teachers – they were just amazing and encouraged me all the way. It’s been a really good two years and I’m so happy with how it ended. Next year I’m going to do a Bachelor of Science and will also study Italian."
"I’m quite happy. It’s nice to have some validation for the hard work that I’ve put in and I want to thank the staff for their hard work, too. I often have trouble finding motivation to do things, but I’d say I definitely put in the effort where it counts! Next year, I’m going to go to university to do a research degree in Maths and Computer Science, which should be fun."
"I was kind of in shock – I wasn’t expecting it. I got 99.15! I have always tried my best in everything and I listened to the teachers and got their help when I was stuck. I also picked the subjects I was interested in so I wanted to do them and to do well. Next year I’m going to do Politics, Philosophy, and Economics, maybe with Law as well. I’m glad I chose to come here. I really enjoyed it and I had so many opportunities. The teachers really made a difference, and I feel like I wouldn’t have done as well as I did without their help."
"I’m feeling really good, it was a good day today. I got 95.65! I really wanted to get 90 and I thought it was achievable, so it’s a really good day today. I got there with hard work and great teachers – they’re the most important thing. With hard work and a great environment around you, you can do absolutely anything! My plan is to study Psychology."
"I’m very happy – my score is six points above my estimate and I got the score that I wanted. I already had an unconditional offer at ANU to do Medical Science, but it was just more of a personal goal to get an ATAR in the 90s, I just really wanted that so I’m very happy. I just put in a lot of hard work – some late nights studying, staying behind at school when others had gone home – I definitely put the work in for it so I’m glad I got there in the end."
"I am very excited to have been accepted into NIDA for 2021. Going to NIDA has been a dream of mine since primary school. I will be studying a Diploma of Live Production and Technical Services, to build on the knowledge I have gained through the supportive staff and my studies at MacKillop. At NIDA I will be immersed in an enormous range of live productions and events including theatre, dance, opera, concerts, and festivals. My plan for the future is to travel around the world, working on live productions with large touring companies."